Well, the entire world is talking about IOT (Internet of Things).
But let’s first understand what IOT is!!
In a simple statement, IOT is Things connected to Internet. Things here refer to physical objects like any devices. These devices connected to the internet and can identify themselves to other devices.Things Refer to Goods, Objects, Machines, Appliances, Buildings, Vehicles, Animals, People, Plants, Soil etc. With IOT these things are able to transfer data over a network and talk to each other without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.
By 2020 it has been estimated that 50 billion devices communicating through the internet. Devices can range from cars, coffee vending machine or sensors connected machines in a production plant. These devices provide data that offers new insights and as they talk to each other. They develop their own intelligence and can advise customers of the optimal ways to put them to use. This will revolutionize consumer and the way we do business.
IOT Landscape: Though Internet of things breadth is unlimited, it can be categorized into following verticals.
1. Wearable Devices: Wearable device starts from simple ID cards which provide identification and security. Health- and fitness-oriented wearable devices that provide biometric measurements such as heart rate, perspiration levels, and even complex measurements like oxygen levels in the bloodstream are also becoming available. Technology advancements may even allow alcohol levels or other similar measurements to be made via a wearable device. The ability to sense, store, and track biometric measurements over time and subsequently analyze the results, is just one interesting possibility. Furthermore, tracking body temperature, for example, might provide an early indication of whether a cold or the flu is on the way or not.
2. Connected Cars: There have been exciting recent developments around IoT in the automotive industry as well. Automakers, telecommunication service providers, and leading technology companies are coming together on this and are building the Connected Car. As the integration with smartphones and vehicles gets significantly deeper, the information exchange will be two way – Smartphone to Vehicle and vice versa. Using the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD/OBD-II) data, information regarding engine and other crucial vehicle parameters can be displayed on the driver’s smartphones and same can be sent to theservice provider for analysis.Some of the development in Car companies are to analyze the driver behavior, providing usage-based insurance, infotainment, distraction prevention and identification, and location services.
3. Connected Homes: The internet of things is likely to extend into the home, with a range of IP-enabled appliances: smoke detectors, fridges, microwaves, boilers – almost anything that is at present connected to the power grid is expected to get an IP address sometime in the future . Many devices already exist the market with which we can monitor and control the home devices starting from the lights to thewashing machines.
4. Connected cities: For the smart city initiative, IOT plays extremely important role. The benefits and value of include: 1) smart circulation, 2) smart lighting, 3) smart waste management, and 4) smart environment monitoring.
5. Industrial Internet: The industrial Internet draws together fields such as machine learning, big data, machine-to-machine communication and Cyber-physical system to ingest data from machines, analyze it (often in real-time), and use it to adjust operations.
6. Health Care: The impact of home-use medical devices and mobile healthcare applications that make up the IoT has been increasingly felt in the healthcare market. Apart from their use in managing health, they have also been used for disease prevention and fitness promotion. Some of the applications of IoT include Chronic Disease Management, Remote Clinical Monitoring and Assisted Living & Wellness and Preventive Care.
7. Transportation: Transportation plays amajor role in business. With implementation of IOT intransportation can result in greater efficiency, Remote monitoring and Diagnosis, Alerts – Improved safety, Preventive maintenance & Higher Reliability.
Opportunities for IT Company
Needless to say, there is atremendous opportunity open for IT companies. Organizations should recognize the transformative power of IOT and should ensure to strengthen their expertise in the Mobility, Data Warehouse, Embedded, and Security.
Research studies have provided avalue of the IOT at multiple trillion dollars.
We can foresee major opportunities in following areas.
1. Sensing device – Develop different sensing device and communicating via internet.
2. Data Mining – To many, the massive data generated or captured by IoT are considered having highly useful and valuable information. Data mining will no doubt play a critical role in making this kind of system smart enough to provide more convenient services and environments.
3. Mobility – Smartphone apps can play amajor role in IOT. It can be used right from getting alerts to monitor and control IOT enabled devices.
4. Develop Enterprise Solutions: Providing middleware for integration to data repositories.
5. Custom Interface Application: Companies can develop apps to communicate between different human and IOT enabled devices. Also, can provide reports for analysis and decision making.
Now you can tap into the Internet of Things with the Azure IoT Suite. A cloud-based offering with pre-configured solutions that address common Internet of Things scenarios, so you can capture and analyze untapped data to transform your business. Continue reading here.
There are no bars to innovation – the only limit is your imagination.
Keep thinking….Happy growth……