Are you an Android user? Do you want to use your loved apps and games in foldable phones with Android support, your wait is over! Here is a look at what is new in Android 10 & how it changes your android mobile user experience.
Google brings something new with each version of Android. Below is history of Android releases. The official Android 10 release date was September 03, 2019. Below set of dates reflects Android’s dedication towards the developer community.
|Release Version||Name||Release Date|
|Android 10||Android 10||9/19/2019|
Let’s get into details. Android is focusing to cut down all fingers pointing towards its protection, security and processing capabilities.
Innovation and new experiences
- Foldables – Always ready to encourage device manufacturer to give best user experience with minimal clicks and multi-tasking capabilities. With the same motto, Samsung and other manufacturers brought of concept of foldables with easy carry and broader access feasibilities.
- Screen Continuity – It is a new form factor. Earlier existing form factors are phone, Tablet and Phablet. Now foldable become a new form factor in Mobile industry. Developers have to capture transition from fold to unfold screen. Developer community exited with news of Emulator is going to launch by Samsung in Q4 2020.
- Multi Resume –Today existing model of single application resume model is going to change with Multiple apps running state. You can control WhatsApp, You Tube and Udemy course side by side. It is most promising feature of Android 10, however now from user perspective, it is a new way of handling your vision.
- 5G compatible – 5G network is a fast and low latency way of data packets transmission. Android modified its below Connectivity APIs.
– High bandwidth vs Low band width check
– Connection availability
- Live caption in video – With single tap you can transmit your audio/ voice controls back into application. Machine Learning speech models process and embed your audio into text and displays over a app. This feature brings lots of possibilities in design consideration and another medium of input capture.
- Smart reply in notifications – Android 10 uses Machine Learning algorithm to show contextual reply options in notifications. This feature is user friendly and will reduce amount of time spent on typing.
- Privacy for users – More control on location data. Now extra option of capture location data while app is foreground. This helps device from battery drains as 90% of apps need location tracking when they are inside app.
For business use case of transportation, delivery where business need to know real time location of users, still use can go with Allow all the time option.
- Location data protection in network scans – Android 10 increased location data read over network and increased security to process location data.
- Store information in External storage – Now it is recommended to store app data in files and store in External storage rather than internal storage. As proportionate to number of apps installed on device, there is decline in device performance.
Now all apps should consider minimize app data storage in internal memory and handle non availability of external storage scenarios and cover all case to provide best user interface for end users.
- Encryption of storage – All devices launching with compatible of Android 10 should encrypt user information. These is no change in user interface or user interaction, however there is more processing required to secure user data. Android leverages Adiantum for encryption mode of data. It might be a bank application or game, user information (Data storing on device or Cache memory) need to be encrypted.
- TLS 1.3 – Transportation Layer Security (TLS) 1.3 protocol provides increased privacy & performance. Android leveraged TLS 1.3 protocol for enhanced data transmission and security.
From end user perspective no change in existing apps, however developer need to make sure all guidelines need to follow.
- Camera and media:
- Photo depth – In image creation and processing applications, Dynamic photo depth to identify object blurs and bokeh options in an app. Quick parse and extensive depth extension in existing still images in application.
Left is normal image and right side is processed depth map.
- Audio Play back capture – Now one app can capture audio playing in another app using stream objects. Now users can record their loved audio tracks and favorite game tunes for further accessing.
- Latest audio and video codes – Below new audio and video format support enabled in Android 10.
– Video Codec – AV1
– Audio Codec – Opus
Android always focused in all possible improvement areas to serve better user experience and easy integrations for developers. Android 10 features focus areas are Photo Depth, Longer Battery life with In app notification permission access, Smart reply, Machine learning and embed into new devices like 5G and Foldable, Privacy & Security and Digital control to provide technology balance for individual and family use cases. With Android 10 update tighten your security threats possibilities.